Final Fantasy Forums
Buy Final Fantasy XIII
Go Back   Final Fantasy Forums > Final Fantasy News Forum > Final Fantasy & Square Enix News
Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy & Square Enix News Come in here for all the latest news about Final Fantasy and other Square Enix games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Vermilion Thanatos

Talking Dissidia Famitsu Scans: Terra and Kefka

Famitsu scans featuring Kefka and Terra have surfaced.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5...1767183kj7.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7...can2ln8ne2.jpg

Things to note:
1) GOD KEFKA!!!!!!! My life is complete. Instead of featuring updates on previously revealed characters (though I wouldn't be surprised if there are additional pages), they immediately came out with the Ex Modes and Bursts for both Terra and Kefka.
2) Pics of in-game Terra, for those who love Terra (I'm looking at you, EdgaranTerraFigaro...
3) Terra is indeed a mage; they show pics of her using thunder, tornado, and something that looks like a cross between fire and gravity. Kefka has the same pic of Final Zero thingummy, and some weird golden orb move. The other pics are indistinguishable.
3) There are a lot of menu shots here, one of which features the full cast of heroes in silhouette form.
4) The original in-game screenshots next to the Amano art are a direct slap in the face to all who thought Celes deserved a spot more than Terra. Serves them right for trying to warp a perfectly good roster schema.
5) If God Kefka and even regular Jecht can be shirtless, then those yaoiphobes who have an issue with shirtless Sephy should reconcile that soon...:P

EDIT: Another page just appeared. There might be a fourth, if we're lucky...

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7391/scan3dz7.jpg

Stuff to note about this one:
1) Alt. costumes (that we've already seen) revealed for Garland and WoL.
2) Leviathan, Bomb, and Barbariccia are summons. Hmmmmmmm...fiends as summons; do you think Lich and Marilith stand a shot at making it in? I really hope that they do end up including nigh on fifty summons if they are including such obscure enemies as well

a master of both black and white magic

perfectionist; dashing; imaginative

Last edited by Vermilion Thanatos : 11-05-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Vermilion Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
EdgarAnTerraFigaro

Send a message via Yahoo to EdgarAnTerraFigaro
Default Re: Dissidia Famitsu Scans: Terra and Kefka

Oh snap! Terra and Kefka!
Yeah!
Thank you for posting Redsage. I will be getting this game!

Last edited by EdgarAnTerraFigaro : 11-05-2008 at 10:23 PM.
EdgarAnTerraFigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Garland

I should just stop bothering in posting news >>
Red Sage always beats me to it...

But as an add on, the game will have a Data Install system, which allows you to use your memory card (similar to ps3 games) to help loading times function smoother and more quickly. That is the solution to the designers previous delema with data loading.

Those also are not alt costumes, they're exmode forms.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Vermilion Thanatos

Oh yes, you are right. Those are ex-modes. Garland's seems kind of lame; all white? Exmode should be like really really dark and evil looking Garland, not pristine angelic white Garland. Just noting that developers don't seem to be giving Garland the respect he deserves.

And I only beat you to the Dissidia games, because truthfully looking for good things in the not-so-distant future is the only thing countering possibly severe depression at this moment. I forget my problems when I am fixing others'. That's just me. If you like, I can lay off everything not Dissidia.

If you can install data, does that mean hope for a PS3 port? I mean, the PSP's already become a sort of bastard mutant superhuman hybrid between PS2, PS3, and the DS. I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to make this universally compatible with Sony consoles. And maybe Nintendo, seeing as it was what gave the franchise its first break.

Last edited by Vermilion Thanatos : 11-06-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
WD Cecil

Wow, awesome stuff. I wonder what's with that Chocobo screen on the Esper Terra page? And are you sure that data install is what you say it is? Why does it have the FFV title there? Can't wait to see Sephy, Cloud in action in the lifestreem!!!

"Stay back. This is a fight for me and me alone."
WD Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Garland

They're playing off the fact tha Garland didn't used to be bad, and was the head knight of cornelia. His name, "Garland" is the etymology of "fallen" in that, after a soldiers death, it was tradition to place a wreath or garland at their grave. Also, the white in his cape could also mean the "all encompassing" element of traditional buddhism. White meaning the element of "Space" the matri symbol for space is the wheel of time. In XII the esper chaos is deemed "the walker of the wheel". Seems to me that for a non emphasised character, the designers really went all out for him. I especially love how he has a move specifically revolving around knocking people down!!

I dought however that theyed make this multi platform. Similar to my reasoning that will not make a sequel to this for atleast ten or twenty more years, if at all.

But yeah Cecil, the Data thing is "fo Real"
Old 11-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Vermilion Thanatos

Ummmm...basically all of the villains were arguable not bad at one point; I find that a weak excuse for them to make him white. There might be symbolism as you speculate, but I still find that it minimizes Garland's epic evilness.

Who knows? If they keep this game alive for a decade or so with occasional updates (just as the PSP itself will be kept alive), they could do anything with it.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
EdgarAnTerraFigaro

Dissidia site has updated! Cool!
I'm going to be playing Terra all the time. ^ ^

Last edited by EdgarAnTerraFigaro : 11-06-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Garland

Well, for starters i would of very much preffered it if Chaos was Garland's exmode, seeing as all the other main antagonists who transform in the game get theirs. But the stupid Chaos Cosmos thing interferes with that notion, however, that's another good reason that chaos might have a strong tie with Garland in the first place.

Either way, Garland is also one of the few villains, save for Golbez which goes back to being good. After the time loop was broken, Garland was just another knight of Cornelia, untainted by the fiends. Crazy huh?
Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
EdgarAnTerraFigaro

Choas is the goddess that created the universe. (I think that is the one they were going for)
But if not, then Garland is one of the main characters to Dissidia.

info:

She is the gaping shapeless void who gave birth to the universe. GAIA and EROS came from CHAOS, as did NYX.

Nobody knows much about her, so if you know something about nothing let us know.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Vermilion Thanatos

It depends on which mythology you take that from. Just like Christianity and other modern religions have changed their stories over time, so did the ancient religions. But yes, there are some accounts that say that all was borne from Chaos. And it is often considered a HE, not a SHE (though more properly I'd say it ought to be an it). Unfortunately, as there is no Cosmos involved in Greek mythology, that instead all beings born of Chaos were in a sense bringers of order, and that Chaos itself is just a vast nothingness and not a malicious destroyer as depicted in Dissidia, I think we can rule out Greek mythology as a reliable reference. I am more inclined to think of Chaos and Cosmos as closer to the duality symbolized by Vishnu and Shiva, or the "preserver" and "destroyer" (Brahma, the creator, embodies both of them; both are necessary). Or maybe even The whole yin and yang concept of Daosim. They are powerful opposing forces that must forever exist together.

Family tree (no Cosmos):
Interactive Greek Gods Family Tree

and anyone notice the symbolism here?

Cosmos (plant) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dia-cosmos.jpg

Even a halfway Chaos would have been cooler than no Chaos at all. There are also theories that Cloud of Darkness is neither good nor evil, but the being from the void that tries to create an imbalance between good and evil that allows her to consume everything, both good and evil, into nothingness. Hence why the light warriors are needed to destroy her and bring balance to the two worlds again. So she might not be evil, either. And we all know that Ulty might just be Rinoa and she definitely has a brief change of heart just before she dies. Kuja was just proud and sephy-angry-esque, but realized his errors before the game ended. And Jecht was never evil to begin with. So the whole Garland is unique because he repents is kind of a moot point, especially when there are others who repent that also happen to have more character depth.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
EdgarAnTerraFigaro

I know, but i like the girl version ^^
But the male one seems more possible.....
I love Greek mythology, I'm writing a book about it.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
WD Cecil

Square-Enix = King of game plots and stories!

"Stay back. This is a fight for me and me alone."
WD Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Garland

Well you tell me Redsage, you love latin and greek derivatives, and you yourself have notticed that Final Fantasy loves to use them. Religion wise, they've been tributing it since the days of VI. Kefka's final battle, tower o demons thing was a Large hint towards Dante's Deivine comedy.

Man, what EdgarTerra said a while ago could of really helped me in my plot device argument about the Gods purposes in the game with Redsage those weeks past.

But yeah, either way, we have not seen chaos being depicted at all,(save for a version of him coming out of the earth) so we can't be sure if his intentions are that evil either. Wait, if Sephiroth repented his earlier sins towards the end of VII, why was he so intent on still destroying the world in advent children?

Either or, because of the earlier titles character developement, or lack there of, the story designers are giving those characters much more leeway in terms of this game. Whether or not the fact that Garland can't transform into Chaos is because he IS in some respects Chaos, (Exburst is called Soul of Chaos) is somehow blighted by giving him that white cape and making him look almost good. They could really play off his character as being scheming, and torn between his humanity and his ambitions. Hence why Garland becomes white knight Garland. Course their is another, more out there, theory which i devised. Inwhich the crystals that Cosmos gave the light warriors to protect are fake and not detrimental to protecting the universe at all, and instead they are imbedded or crafted from Garlands' newly aquired badass sword. Note how he previously could not cast magic and now has all four of the elemental powers of the archfiends. Also note that in his battle animation, unlike other characters the magic is not cast from him but from his sword when it glows red. The cut of his blade looks vaguely crystal like aswell, but i could go on and on about how Sephiroth caused 9/11 and i still couldn't prove it. So it should be interesting on how they go about there plot developments in the game's story when it comes out.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Vermilion Thanatos

The Divine Comedy was primarily Christian with only hints of Greek/Roman mythology. However, it was also a very fascist Italian novel (ironically, coming from the term fasces, or a bundle of reeds held by Roman officials), and thus had a lot of famous Italians that Italians would know about. All of the Greeks were in hell because they beat Aeneas at Troy, and all of the Romans were in heaven. Even Dido went to hell, and she didn't even do anything wrong except that her relationship with Aeneas didn't work out. Aeneas was a whiny *******, yet he somehow made it into heaven. Anywho, taking from the Christian paradigm, which has basically pervaded the entire global culture, and using names of Latin and Greek origin (which form the basis of probably 90% of Western vocabularies) does not mean that they have to fashion their plot after Greek mythology, especially since many of their settings have been of more eastern mindsets, even if they are western in appearance. The dualistic concept of good and evil didn't exist for the Greeks, nor even the early Romans. Christianity was what brought that mindset from the East to the West, and even then it was quickly warped into merely an extremist positive and negative reinforcement of moralistic behavior with a ton of mythological and superstitious baggage, not a practical worldview like the Eastern religions had created.

And yes, normally I might consider that valid, except Chaos existed before everything, which is clearly not the case in the original FF, as Garland came before Chaos and was then later summoned by him. Two irreconcilable paradoxes. Plus, like I said, the moralistic conflict between to opposing and equal powers would be completely undermined if that were the case. Many FF fans would hate the creators if either Cosmos or Chaos were even remotely the same person. We need at least one absolutely evil and one absolutely good character in every FF, and those two are necessary for the entire setting to make sense.

Chaos will be revealed in the next trailer update; he was seen talking to the heroes most evilly.

Or, the designers could have just been lame and thought that white is a cool color and that his sword would look cool if it glowed red. Not everything in a fighter game has to have meaning...:P

Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
EdgarAnTerraFigaro

The Final Fantasy Games did use a lot of greek myths and items.

Like Athena's magical helmet "Minerva" and the names to the demons and gods they created.
Like In FFVII. Sephiroth's cave was like the layers in Dante's inferno.
While Beatrix (is that how you spell it?) is like Aerith and Cloud like Dante,
while Vincent was Virgil.

There are a lot of things the FF games use ^ ^

The art is totally Greek as well...

Man do i love greek mythology!