Sign in to follow this  
limberg

Did You Like Vagrant Story?

Vagrant Story was one of the surprise titles of Square back in the PS1 days. It was something that was very different from what they were doing back then. I was a big fan of Square back then. I loved all their turn-based RPGs and the stories that they told. That's why I immediately grabbed Vagrant Story when it went out. But wow, was I shocked and surprised. The art style was very far from the usual Square offerings. The dialogue was shakespeare-like. And the story was very dark and different... And the gameplay? It was something that I thought Square would never ever even conceptualize. It was a cross between a turn-based RPG and an action RPG.

Did I like it?

agzj0zaxksysfc1cuzbu.jpg

Well, at first, I hated it. I didn't like the story and the way the characters delivered their lines. So I stopped playing it after a few hours. When I had nothing else to play about after a month, I tried to play Vagrant Story again. Lo and behold... I was completely in awe. I began to appreciate the art-style, the dark story. And I also realized that the combat system was absolutely awesome! There also a complex item and weapon forging system that had me addicted in collecting stuff.

Vagrant Story became one of my favorite Square titles of all time.

Were you able to play Vagrant Story? Did you like it too?

I used to play Vagrant story in a short period of time but suddenly stopped it. I did not like the game since I found it so difficult. Maybe, I just did not understand the game very well. 

2 hours ago, superlicca said:

I used to play Vagrant story in a short period of time but suddenly stopped it. I did not like the game since I found it so difficult. Maybe, I just did not understand the game very well. 

Probably one of the things you hated were the puzzles wherein you had to push, pull, destroy different blocks in order to proceed to the next room or location. I did hate those puzzles in the game. Some were really very hard to solve. I think I even used a game guide just to get past a certain section. But all in all, I was able to adapt to the difficulty of the game. It was smooth sailing from then on.

Did I like it? I loved it. It was an awesome game and I still want it's fight system to be implemented in some series. I didn't know about the chain system and played almost 50 percent of the game without it. I managed to chain a combo by fluke and I was literally  flabbergasted and never looked back. After that it was a challenge to see how long I can chain combos.

Let me know if there is any game that has similar chain mechanics.

10 minutes ago, GrayBrad said:

Did I like it? I loved it. It was an awesome game and I still want it's fight system to be implemented in some series. I didn't know about the chain system and played almost 50 percent of the game without it. I managed to chain a combo by fluke and I was literally  flabbergasted and never looked back. After that it was a challenge to see how long I can chain combos.

Let me know if there is any game that has similar chain mechanics.

I also had difficulty with the chain system at first. It's hard to time attacks especially if you keep switching from one weapon to the next because each weapon handles differently. Once I got the hang of chaining combos, combat became more exciting.

I do agree that the combat system needs to be implemented in RPG games today. I think the closest we got to a Vagrant Story style of combat is Final Fantasy XII. But still, it wasn't as fun as that seen in Vagrant Story.

I've seen this game, and it plays remarkably on the PlayStation and appears to take advantage of the enhancements that the PlayStation can offer compared to several other games.

I haven't played it myself, though.

Edited by NerdIndeed