Sign in to follow this  
cmoneyspinner

Are the Age and Content Ratings for Video Games Really Helpful?

Not sure of the composition of the this forum's membership.  Maybe many of you are not parents, but whether or not you're parents you would probably not want to expose a child or young person to something that could be bad for their mental development.  That being said, I see many games with the ESRB ratings.  (ESRB = Entertainment Software Rating Board).   Let's say a young child  (eh!  7 to 14 years) wants to play with you but you're not familiar with a game.  Do you rely on those ratings as a guide to pick a game suitable for the age of the person playing the game?

Most people probably rely on it. But the safest thing to do is to play the game yourself. If you feel that it's inappropriate for children or young people, then trust your instinct. Also, it would be nice to keep them away from violent games. Desensitized youth have been negatively affected by such games. 😀

Well, I don't play games with younger kids. I can't still forget how gaming nearly damaged my future while I was growing up. So, the best thing that I always do at the moment is to make these kids focus on reading their books first while gaming can happen at leisure times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Henrywrites said:

Well, I don't play games with younger kids. I can't still forget how gaming nearly damaged my future while I was growing up. So, the best thing that I always do at the moment is to make these kids focus on reading their books first while gaming can happen at leisure times.

That's very nice. I agree with you. It would be best to let kids focus on reading and learning. Games usually just become distractions. And it's hard now to find games that are good for young children. 🙂

On 10/8/2018 at 11:37 AM, cmoneyspinner said:

Not sure of the composition of the this forum's membership.  Maybe many of you are not parents, but whether or not you're parents you would probably not want to expose a child or young person to something that could be bad for their mental development.  That being said, I see many games with the ESRB ratings.  (ESRB = Entertainment Software Rating Board).   Let's say a young child  (eh!  7 to 14 years) wants to play with you but you're not familiar with a game.  Do you rely on those ratings as a guide to pick a game suitable for the age of the person playing the game?

Yes and no. I'm not a parent but I'm a firm believer that you need to be an active participant when it comes to screening content for your kids. I wouldn't blindly trust the ESRB to be fair; they give general ratings that apply to a general audience, you've got a specific kid, and what's appropriate for them won't always be the same as what's appropriate for someone else's kid.

That being said, it's a decent first step. It lets you know at a glance the range of content you're likely to find, and you can go from there. E for everybody is generally safe for, well, everybody. Higher ratings you'll have to pick and choose. The ESRB isn't perfect but I honestly don't think it could be much better considering what it is. 

Those ratings don't matter in my opinion. I've heard of stories making the news about parents buying their children GTA V and then suing Rockstar because of the content. I don't think people take the ratings seriously. It applies for movies as well. I've seen families in the theater go into Deadpool and it's rated R!

Well I've gone into the store with my youngest and she was wanting to buy certain games.  I agreed but I didn't really know!  Fortunately I have older kids and I can ask them what's OK.  They also monitor my granddaughter when they babysit her.

I only look at them as a way of measuring how explicit they are willing to show the adult stuff in the game. Rockstar games are well-known for this because their games, especially the Grand Theft Auto series feature a lot of mature and illegal things. I played these types of games as a kid but I don't see any harm in playing them because I'd like to think that I was raised well and I know back then that the things I am doing in the game must not be done in real life.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:19 PM, Steve5 said:

That's very nice. I agree with you. It would be best to let kids focus on reading and learning. Games usually just become distractions. And it's hard now to find games that are good for young children. 🙂

If my child is not up to the age that I feel that he can play games, I don't think that I will be giving him that space. The thing is that once they can be able to control the addiction of playing games, then I can allow them to go ahead. 

4 hours ago, Henrywrites said:

If my child is not up to the age that I feel that he can play games, I don't think that I will be giving him that space. The thing is that once they can be able to control the addiction of playing games, then I can allow them to go ahead. 

Yes, I believe so. Children reach a certain age where they can safely immerse with digital content. It really depends on the child's mental growth. But usually around age 7-8 they're smart enough to understand stuff. 🙂