Sign in to follow this  
Kuzma

Any other fans of the Mana series?

The Mana series was one of my first and favorite RPG's. I borrowed a copy of Sword of Mana from my cousin when I was younger and, well, kinda held onto it and forgot I had until years later. He never asked about it so I guess he didn't miss it.

My criminal activity aside, I really love the game, and I wish we could get another entry in the series that doesn't involve me pulling out my credit card. If anyone's played Dawn of Mana and Heroes of Mana, do you think they're worth hunting down? I haven't played every game in the Mana series and I'd love to get myself some nostalgic gifts this holiday season. 

Dawn and Heroes got mixed reviews compared to the older entries and I never bothered with them myself. That being said, the SNES games and Sword of Mana were my shit. I had Sword on the Gameboy Advance and I loved it, there's a remake of it for IOS that I'm considering picking up. The first Secret of Mana (Well, first in America. The first in the series is actually Sword of Mana which was remade from Final Fantasy Adventures in U.S.) I played it quite a bit when I was younger, recently grabbed the updated remake on steam.

If you really like the Mana series, I would suggest getting a SNES emulator and downloading the translated rom of the third Secret of Mana game (Seiken Densetsu 3 English rom on google, shouldn't be hard to find). It's one of the best action RPG games I ever played and it should be a crime it was never brought stateside. Why they didn't port that over instead of the recent strings of remakes I don't understand.

I've only played Legend of Mana. I see you haven't mentioned it and I'm not sure if it is part of the Mana series. I really liked it and spent a lot of time playing through that game because it is fun to explore new places and you plot them yourself on the world map. Plus, there are lots of companions that you could choose from. Story-oriented games that have good AI companions are the types of games that I like.

The combat system is similar to KH in a manner of speaking. The mana games are mostly old school, with no recent ones. For the older ones, the difference is you have to pull up a menu to select your spells for use, but it was rather easy to do. Still worth playing if you got a thing for old-school RPG's.