Sign in to follow this  
Henrywrites

How do you react to proud people?

In our every day activities, we are always faced with people that are there for the talking and talking and less actions. Some of them are not always ready to agree that there are ways that they could improve. 

How do you react to such people? 

Sometimes people really are too proud to take on advice. It's hard, for sure, when you're dealing with people like that in your life.

I think all you can try to do is encourage them. Often that pride comes from a fear of being hurt or a fear of failure. I try to remember it doesn't always stem from arrogance in people, and that helps.

As for me, I wholly absorb everything that they say. I react happily if ever another party tells stories of their achievements in life. But there are times wherein it gets borderline annoying, so what I do is I excuse myself from the conversation by saying I still have a few chores to do, politely and kindly.

I think there's a difference between people who are proud and people who are just big headed. I actually think pride is quite an admirable trait in someone who is otherwise quite humble and genuinely a nice person. It's not a case of bragging about one's own accomplishments, but more feeling pleased at that sense of achievement, which I think everyone deserves to feel no matter what they've managed to accomplish. As an example, I felt proud about waking up at 9am this morning despite it being a Saturday and only having about four hours sleep. But, I don't go to my mates being all "Aww, I'm such a LEGEND for waking up early this morning!" It's more of a personal satisfaction and gave me the sense of achievement in having got to do all my errands for the day much earlier, allowing me to enjoy the rest of the day doing whatever the hell I please. 🙂