Sign in to follow this  
darkeclipse21

Favorite Final Fantasy Game [and runner ups]

Posted (edited)

As the title says, what Final Fantasy appealed to you most?
To break it down, too, we'll ask for three categories:

Gameplay:
Story:
Setting:

Also, why were they your favorite for that category? Were there any games that came close to rivaling it?

Edited by darkeclipse21

I'll double post to start it off and leave the skeleton there

Gameplay: Actually, it's pretty hard to determine, because the Final Fantasy games have had some diverse playstyles, even within their basic methods. For the Job System games [I, III, V, X-2, and Tactics/TA] i'd say it was FFV. The ability to fine-tune your characters was everything I wanted in a Job-based game, and I did prefer the ATB system as opposed to the Tactical Role Playing of Tactics. 
When it comes to the proper ATB games, though [IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX], my favorite was FFVIII. The junction system was a real base-breaker, being overly complex for no reason, and mitigating the usefulness of magic, unless a hit to stats was considered acceptable. It allowed for a great flexibility in character building, however, and I developed a lot of patience early in life by sitting through battles drawing the magic out of boss fights for 20 minutes.
It's understandable that wasn't really popular.

Story: Final Fantasy VI. As opposed to later games that would trim down the fat of characters to focus more on their development, FFVI explored a myriad of character sin a changing world. The player was introduced to the world through the lens of a brainwashed girl, allowing them to discover much of the world as she did, and making early game introductions to the ideas of the setting more readily digestible. A few characters were more or less unimportant to the plot [Umaro], but ultimately it was because of the decision to focus on the world and the people it produced, instead of glorifying the cast of characters being played. Kefka was also one of the best Final Fantasy villains. I also loved the themes and ideas the story attempted to convey, although it loses some points for making a lot of it hide beyond sidequests in the second half.

Setting: FFVI again, for similar reasons as discussed above.
FFX is very close, if not tied, however. Some bias exists, for it was the first of the PS2 FFs, and thus the first I got to experience in all its splendor, but the game was given a lot of love, and the backstory combined the elements of Magitek and fantasy the series had been toying with for the last several iterations, while still allowing fantasy to win in the end. The level of schizo tech was easily forgiven as ruins of a bygone age, without questions lingering about why the tech was only used for some purpose. The villains also got to explore some reasonably deep themes that were given merit by the struggles of the world, and the political turmoil was relateable, while not as overbearing as it could be in later games.

I haven't played enough to really quantify the series, but ...

Final Fantasy X. It was my introduction to Final Fantasy back in 2002 and had a story depth I never experienced before. The gameplay related to many other RPGs I've played before, though the the whole Sphere Grid system was something totally new to me. In retrospect, the characters were kinda cringy in some ways but the whole story was so engaging for me. Also summoning creatures was badass.

I later got FFX-2 but initially didn't like it cause it was so different. Real time battling and job spheres. However, once I got used to it, I started to love it and even preferred it over the previous game. The Charlie's Angels story was a bit ridiculous but still dealt fan service for FFX lovers and was generally enjoying in its own right (but not in comparison to FF's in general). I haven't finished FFXIII, so can't really count that but I'm looking forward to FFVII Remake and KH3 as my next Square Enix games.

Soooo...

Gameplay: FFX-2
Story: FFX
Setting: FFX

I hope they do remakes of VIII-IX and maybe success with VII Remake will encourage that.

• Like 1

For me Final Fantasy VI is my favorite because I like  Celes and Terra abilities and magic spells.

I'm sorry but I don't remember much about it to justify making a 3 point review. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core was the last FF game I've played. This was on the PSP. I haven't really played FF 7 before this so this was my introduction to the most mainstream FF that everyone related to. (Most likely because of Tifa.... and Cloud). This was also the first FF game that wasn't a strategic turn based RPG. It was a hack and slash kind of combat reminiscent of KH BBS. The Materia system of crafting hooked me to max? all the available stats at the time. It made it tear up a little in it's ending.

I have enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VII, IV, and VI, in rank respectively. FFVII has the best gameplay overall and I enjoyed it pretty much. In terms of story I can't really decide which one was the greatest because all of them had great stories. Maybe it would be VII first, IV being the second, and VI again beimg the last. In setting, it is hard to choose because it would be unfair since FF VII had a greater map. I guess FF VII would go first again, now FF VI being the second, and FF IV being the last. I enjoyed that there are more things you can do in FF VII that's why I ranked it first. Second is FF VI because I enjoyed the time where everything looks distorted and damaged. Finally, FF IV because I enjoyed that magic is natural in that era and there are a lot of things that magic can do in that time.