Dragoon McKnight

Dragon Quest is Finally Coming Back

RLACJJj.jpg

So, here we are. Finally getting a release from the main series after eight long years. It’s about damn time. Now, I’m aware that we have gotten a few other Dragon Quest spin-off games since then. There are the Dragon Quest Heroes games, which play more like the Dynasty Warrior games. Then there’s the Dragon Quest Builders, got decent reviews, I didn’t look into it or bother with it much. I played the first Dragon Quest Heroes game, and while it has some fun elements, it didn’t keep me glued. But finally, on September 4, we’re getting Dragon Quest XI on PS4 and PC.

The last time we were graced with the appearance from the Dragon Quest franchise was with Dragon Quest IX, released in the states in 2009. Released on the Nintendo DS, I loved it. That class system has always been one of my favorite things in the series, and this installment also had lots of post-game content you could download through updates. Next after that? It was Dragon Quest X.

And It never left Japan.

I wasn’t particularly happy about it. Do you know how amped I was for a Dragon Quest online game? That’s what Dragon Quest X was, for those that might not be familiar. It came out first in Wii in 2012, then the Wii U in 2013. Now at the time, I could understand why it didn’t come stateside. The Wii was already becoming obsolete, and the Wii U… well, it didn’t do too hot I had one, mostly in hopes of a new Zelda game, but the most I got was the Wind Waker remake. Mario games were killer though. But the Wii U didn’t do great, and the first release of Dragon Quest X was on that console. I was disappointed, but I could hold out for future releases. Surely they’d release it on the PC, the handheld, or PS4!

Eventually, they did release it on those things. It still didn’t get outside of Japan. I found so many reasons as to why it wasn’t, mostly speculation. As far as I could tell? Dragon Quest was never as huge as other games in the states like Final Fantasy. Not only that, Square Enix sales weren’t doing too great, and they were spending a good bit of time promoting the reboot of Final Fantasy XIV. But it all worked out. But still, no English release for Dragon Quest X, and that made me a sad guy.

So all we got in between was Dragon Quest Heroes, and that Builders thing. Yay.

But no longer! Just look at the Square Enix website or their twitter. Last I checked, they’re running out of pre-orders for their special addition for all kinds of goodies. The game has already been out for over a year in Japan. Now we finally get a chance. Dragon Quest XI will be available September 4th.

• Like 1

I never got to play any of these, mainly cause they're Japan exclusive for the longest time. Really cool they're not only bringing back the series but for a US release too!

Late response, things got slightly crazy at home. ANYWAYS

It's a good series. Not as plot heavy as other RPGs, but enjoyable. I was the nerd that hit up the fan translated SNES ROMS years ago for Dragon Quest V and VI. They came out on Nintendo DS, and now they're on mobile platforms. VI is one of my favorites, it's the first one where they went gung-ho with the class system, I'd recommend that one if you want to try getting into the series!

Dragon Quest XI is also getting glowing reviews so far. I can't get a copy quite yet, but in a few weeks, I should be able to get my hands on it. 

• Like 1

It is really nice, I am always waiting for its comeback. I can't wait to play it again, Final Fantasy is one of the most adventurous game I played ever.

I am so excited for my copy it is supposed to be here next week. I am so excited. Cant wait to play it. Japan is near me but it takes so long to come.

Dragon Knight is a series that I always wanted and the fact that it is now open to a whole lot of us that are staying outside Japan is good news. This is going to avail us the opportunity to make good plans and strategies for each of the time that we are going to be playing it as well which is good as you get to have fun on it as well. 

Who doesn't like Dragon quest? Seriously, I'm a huge fan of any mystical creatures and dragons are my favorite of such creatures. This series is worth playing over and over again even though they are mostly related to Japanese culture. I enjoyed playing it then, and I still enjoy my old experience with it. 

I am familiar with this game but never got the chance to play this. But I am happy that Dragon Quest is coming back. I think many players are excited especially those who used to play this game before. I tried to check this on the internet and it looks so interesting. 

• Like 1

This is a great write-up. If you like trivia and game history I found a couple of fun facts. Dragon Quest was published as Dragon Warrior in North America until 2005; and it is on a list for longest running video game franchises. If you count from 1986 when the first title was released that makes the game 30+ years old.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's an old one. The first game in the series wasn't super successful, but it was one of the first RPGs on consoles and it laid the foundation of later rpg games. The rest of the Dragon Quest games did pretty well, more so in Japan.