Sign in to follow this  
Haslamendo

Are there any games similar to Chrono Cross?

I've been on a retro-RPG kick lately and have been wanting to revisit some classics.  Chrono Cross is one of the best RPGs of the Playstation era and I'd like to find a game similar to it.  One of the most enjoyable aspects of Chrono Cross is the wide array of playable characters that you can discover and have join your party.

Right now I'm replaying Legend of Dragoon and it isn't as great upon revisiting.  The story is... lacking, but the battle system is still enjoyable.

I've never played Chrono Trigger but have had that suggested before.  I could never get into the aesthetic style of the game.

CC Roster.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately I cant think of any games that are real similar to Cross. It's a shame we didnt get another sequel, as both chrono games did extremely well. The series creator hinted at a sequel in the early 2000s, but it never got off the ground, and he ended up working on other projects. 

Luckily, I have the game on my ps vita. I may go back and play both chrono games. I have legend of dragoon but I couldn't get into it enough to keep playing. Combat system was fun, but the story felt weak compared to other games and the soundtrack overall felt like a detriment to my ears.

There are a few similar games as Cross, Riviera: The Promised Land is one of them, another one would be Golden Sun: The Lost Age, but personally, I think that Glory of Heracles is the best.

Glad to see a lot of people that have also played and loved Chrono Cross! This game is the first JRPG game I've played when I was a kid. Unfortunately, the only game that feels similar is Chrono Trigger. I also haven't finished it because my PlayStation 1 copy freezes all the time when I enter a room that is required to progress through the story. Maybe I'll download the game later this week to an emulator and give it another go.

The only game I've played that comes close to Chrono Cross is Riviera: The Promised Land for the PSP. You can download a PSP emulator and play it that way as I don't think PSPs still exist. I really enjoyed the gameplay, though sometimes, you'll rely heavily on luck to win if I could remember. The graphics are awesome. I liked the washed out watercolor effect.

One scene that stayed in my mind all these years was the bath scene where they imply the girls are naked. At least, that's how I remember it.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:24 AM, wallet said:

There are a few similar games as Cross, Riviera: The Promised Land is one of them, another one would be Golden Sun: The Lost Age, but personally, I think that Glory of Heracles is the best.

Golden Sun is a game that I will never forget in a hurry. The thing about this game is the way the developers took time to make the graphics quite clear and enjoyable that you will want to continue for a long time. 

What I loved most about Chrono Cross was its various Characters. They each had their own story and I cared about what happened to each and every one of them. I felt something really satisfying while playing the game. The ambiance and the music was top notch. And traveling to an alternative world and view it from a different perspective? Wow, that was truly something special.

I don't know if there will ever be a game like Chrono Cross (story wise). But if you do want to play something similar to it, maybe you should try out Chrono Trigger - game that came out for the SNES before Chrono Cross. If you want something from square with an equally awesome story, then you should try to get your hands on Xenogears.

In order to find one you must search for an old school RPG, because not many games are similar to this. Maybe Legacy of Kain, somewhat.

Posted (edited)

^ Lol @ that "38 games like chrono cross" list. Terrible.

Hi saw this topic because i too was looking for a game similar to chrono cross. I would say Lost Sphear is probably your best bet when it comes to a game most similar to it these days. The combat is ripped straight from chrono trigger and you can add/remove different abilities. Give it a try.

Edited by nbksilent
wanted to add something