Jump to content
FFExtreme Forums
rlpzbeermoney

Did Anime/Manga/Gaming Culture Make You Less Sociable?

Recommended Posts

I know for a fact that the "normies" or majority of the people have this stigma of looking down on people who like certain kind of interests. I have observed these interests for example to be Anime. Manga and Gaming.

Being a Square Enix-oriented forum, I guess everyone falls into the category of gaming. So I would just like to ask, has getting into this culture made you less sociable? I know that we signed into the forum to socialize with other people on the web. I'm talking about both online and in real life. I'm just curious.

Edited by rlpzbeermoney
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could say it did when I was younger, but eventually, I stopped being a shut-in nerd. I'm still a big gaming dork, but I've always been a social type as well. Most of my close friends IRL? They aren't gamers, they especially don't play Final Fantasy. One buddy of mine we chill and watch anime from time to time, was able to get him into Hellsing a while back.

Personally, for me, I didn't have that issue, online or off. I can't speak for others though. I want to say those that stop being social and live and breathe video games might have other issues that they aren't dealing with. But that's just my opinion, I'm far from a psych doctor so I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm lucky to live in a household where all the people have experienced watching anime and video games and got hooked at some point in their life. We like different genres so we rarely talk about anime and video games though. Friends and classmates in the university all like these things too mostly because we are taking an IT course and all of us are a bunch of nerds. 😄

Edited by EfficientNinja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dragoon McKnight said:

I could say it did when I was younger, but eventually, I stopped being a shut-in nerd. I'm still a big gaming dork, but I've always been a social type as well. Most of my close friends IRL? They aren't gamers, they especially don't play Final Fantasy. One buddy of mine we chill and watch anime from time to time, was able to get him into Hellsing a while back.

I'm personally in the same boat. In fact I don't have any friends who are hardcore gamers. The ones that do game are just playing for the sake of killing time. They just play what's currently popular. (PUBG or Fornite or COD etc.) I haven't met anyone who are into the really weird fetishy games.

The reason I did write this topic was I do know some people who are shut-ins. They indulge themselves in Anime/Manga culture everyday to the point where they don't even know how to socialize with other people. I find this "wife" thing they do where do make anime girls their "waifus" really weird. I get why some people look down on them sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EfficientNinja said:

I'm lucky to live in a household where all the people have experienced watching anime and video games and got hooked at some point in their life. We like different genres so we rarely talk about anime and video games though. Friends and classmates in the university all like these things too mostly because we are taking an IT course and all of us are a bunch of nerds. 😄

I'd like to share that the IT department in my university suffers the stigma greatly. To the point where other colleges called them "wawa" which means people who don't know what they're doing. I get why they're being judged. They just really stick out from the crowd. They keep roleplaying anime attacks like on Naruto in public. Like kids.

I don't dabble in anime/manga that much. Even the animes I did watch were considered "normie" anime by the really hardcore ones. Even gaming. I don't spend that much time on games as I have responsibilities. I was addicted to Ragnarok way back then but after that I stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I'd say it's made me more sociable, since I've come across more people who also share the same kinds of interests - and it makes it easier to chat with them about fun stuff like this.

I've even met up with people that I've chatted with on anime forums online, which is cool! I like that it's allowed me to meet like minded people who enjoy the same things as I do 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really, I would rather say that I am now more exposed and more socially involved with lots of fellow gamers all over the world. Take for instance, ever since I started participating in this site for years now, I have learnt so much about new games, new tricks and lots of friends I get to discuss with about one game or another. So, it definitely improved my social life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all. Honestly, it's the other way around. I became more sociable when I started to play online video games. I even initiate to have a conversation with my co-players. Being friendly on game is good and an advantage for you too. When you gain friends, it is easy for you now to play the game because you're learning from other players as well. Sometimes you can also talk to them with personal matters that's why it is also important to improve your social personality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it made me less sociable. In fact, I think it made more sociable because of shared interests. There's something positive about having a group of people who love the same stuff. Like how anime fans can easily bond over their favorite shows and characters. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice for you people then. Compared to my observations of my peers, you guys have it easy. I can people who are so into anime that they are detached from reality itself. I believe the term is weeb. I couldn't imagine how they can live with the constant judging of other people. Though I respect their "I don't give an ef" attitude to the world. As long as you are happy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, there's this stereotype that people that are into such kind of things are considered nerd or loser of some sort. I know some who criticized and looked down upon me because of the things I spend my time on. Later down the road, I am the one who turned out to be more successful, and they are still waiting tables at some fast food restaurant. To each his own and if you get judged negatively by your interests, don't mind them.

Edited by NerdIndeed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a little hard to answer for me as I was/am anti-social as all hell and socialy awkward to boot. But I was like this long before I ever played games or watched anime. It's thanks to games and anime that I have the few friends I DO have. If it weren't for anime and games I probably would have become one of the worst shut-in's in the world. Course, most of my interactions with any of my friends now is online due to living so far away from them, but the interweb is great for keeping in contact.

Probably not smart but, my general social issues actually stem from a seething hatred of the human race and people in general. Since becoming a Gamer/Otaku/Nerd/Geek I have an easier time socialising and making the talk stuff work.... kinda....ish....>.> *Was going to make a joke here, but decided against it.... tis for the best.... I think*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 8:30 AM, GRAV said:

This is a little hard to answer for me as I was/am anti-social as all hell and socialy awkward to boot. But I was like this long before I ever played games or watched anime. It's thanks to games and anime that I have the few friends I DO have. If it weren't for anime and games I probably would have become one of the worst shut-in's in the world. Course, most of my interactions with any of my friends now is online due to living so far away from them, but the interweb is great for keeping in contact.

Probably not smart but, my general social issues actually stem from a seething hatred of the human race and people in general. Since becoming a Gamer/Otaku/Nerd/Geek I have an easier time socialising and making the talk stuff work.... kinda....ish....>.> *Was going to make a joke here, but decided against it.... tis for the best.... I think*

Not everyone has a socialization level that's the same for everyone. It's just frustrating that when someone doesn't socialize the same way people do, they judge you who's different. I was also like this in a way growing up. Though now I have step out of my comfort zone and started to "normalize" in a way. Though I still prefer to spend most of my time alone.

 

I also hate people in general. The things people do... it makes me want to give up on humanity itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 11:13 PM, EfficientNinja said:

I'm lucky to live in a household where all the people have experienced watching anime and video games and got hooked at some point in their life. We like different genres so we rarely talk about anime and video games though. Friends and classmates in the university all like these things too mostly because we are taking an IT course and all of us are a bunch of nerds. 😄

I live in a house with my kids and if it weren't for them I wouldn't know anything about anime, manga and video games.  😄  One of my kids did mention that some of her peers thought she was weird because she liked anime.  I told her to shake it off!  Everybody is not going to like what you like.  As for being less sociable?  My kids don't have a problem with socializing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 8:59 PM, rlpzbeermoney said:

Nice for you people then. Compared to my observations of my peers, you guys have it easy. I can people who are so into anime that they are detached from reality itself. I believe the term is weeb. I couldn't imagine how they can live with the constant judging of other people. Though I respect their "I don't give an ef" attitude to the world. As long as you are happy.

Yes, it certainly is a thing for others. It could be a case of developing a mentality to cope with personal issues. Also, they could really be in a not so ideal place for socializing. It's definitely a matter of letting people in and finding genuinely kind people. It's hard but not impossible. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 4:15 PM, rlpzbeermoney said:

I'm personally in the same boat. In fact I don't have any friends who are hardcore gamers. The ones that do game are just playing for the sake of killing time. They just play what's currently popular. (PUBG or Fornite or COD etc.) I haven't met anyone who are into the really weird fetishy games.

The reason I did write this topic was I do know some people who are shut-ins. They indulge themselves in Anime/Manga culture everyday to the point where they don't even know how to socialize with other people. I find this "wife" thing they do where do make anime girls their "waifus" really weird. I get why some people look down on them sometimes.

It could be a personal thing. Based on my experience, people who keep to themselves have had rather unfortunate experiences. So they develop some sort of coping mechanism. A comfort zone. Somewhere they feel safe. It could manifest in the form of social isolation where they actively avoid other people.

And yes. I've seen weird stuff like that. They're into deep imaginative stuff that borders on being absurd and somewhat off putting to normal people. I guess it's their chosen form of happiness. 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 11:48 AM, rlpzbeermoney said:

Not everyone has a socialization level that's the same for everyone. It's just frustrating that when someone doesn't socialize the same way people do, they judge you who's different. I was also like this in a way growing up. Though now I have step out of my comfort zone and started to "normalize" in a way. Though I still prefer to spend most of my time alone.

 

I also hate people in general. The things people do... it makes me want to give up on humanity itself.

True. Though... I've never really cared what others thought of me so.... mehXD Screw em>.< Being judged still sucks though>.>

 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 12:31 AM, GRAV said:

True. Though... I've never really cared what others thought of me so.... mehXD Screw em>.< Being judged still sucks though>.>

 

Agreed.

You say that but in reality, you're only acting that you don't care what others are thinking of you but are hurting on the inside. I've been there and it sucks. Humans, sadly, were made to be social beings. We are designed to care what people thinks of us.

I salute the people who really don't care what people think of them, even if it's the jackassery that they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 1:22 PM, rlpzbeermoney said:

You say that but in reality, you're only acting that you don't care what others are thinking of you but are hurting on the inside. I've been there and it sucks. Humans, sadly, were made to be social beings. We are designed to care what people thinks of us.

I salute the people who really don't care what people think of them, even if it's the jackassery that they do.

I agree that humans be social creatures by nature but I truly no longer care much about what others think of me. I won't deny that, on occasion someone's comment will indeed cause a tiny little pang of feels.... but then it's gone and forgotten and I will usually laugh at an internal joke or hypothetical situation involving the person in question and them suffering a bemusing but ultimately horrific fate.....bemusing for me, horrific for them such as my mind doesXD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, it did not affect my social life. During my childhood days, a lot of the kids in our neighbor were also watching Anime. And during weekends, all of us would talk about it outside our house and share our thoughts or opinions about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was younger it made me a sociable person since there are a lot of people in my age that watch the same anime that I did. However, when I grow older people around me thinks that I am too old for anime and that's why I kind if isolate myself from other people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It have make me both sociable and anti-social. I avoid people who dislike anime and socialize with people who like the same thing as I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question I'd like to raise everyone who commented here is that Did you grow up lonely? It seems like it's a common factor I see when I compare myself to other people who're in the Anime culture. I don't like to generalize but this is just from my observation. I saw this photo online and I related to it so much.

45112658_289494351903836_939632754377621504_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...