FFExtreme Forums
rlpzbeermoney

What's Your Favorite Pokemon?

Growing up in the early 2000's, I've played Pokemon from it's first title. Though I stopped with the GBA titles as I couldn't afford the DS ones. I know for a fact that Pokemon is a global phenomenon and know that everyone here has at least their favorite Pokemon in mind. What is it?

My favorite Pokemon is Jolteon. It's the best Eeveelution in my opinion. I like the design I guess. I was so happy it was part of Red's team in the anime short. Pikachu is one of the most overrated electric Pokemon in gen 1. I've always preferred using Jolteon and I still do. A majority of my teams have Jolteon in them. The advantage in Speed and Special Attack is something that has saved my butt in competitive play.

• Like 2

My favorite Pokemon is Espeon. She's one of the best Pokemon for battles. Her strong point is her Special Attack stat. I've also enjoyed using her against tricky Pokemon. Her ability "Magic Bounce" definitely beats "Synchronize" in so many ways. Not only will you be unaffected by the opposing Pokemon's status moves, you'll also reflect them back. 😄

Edited by Steve5

I would definitely choose Pikachu not because he is the pokemon of the main character. I like that he's an electric type. Pikachu is also cute; that is one of his advantages lol.

Favorite!? Oh jeez. I've got a lot that I like and it's hard to really choose just one.

Maybe Arcanine? I do like fire-types and who doesn't love a large fluffy dog adorably lighting things on fire?

7 hours ago, blackmist said:

I would definitely choose Pikachu not because he is the pokemon of the main character. I like that he's an electric type. Pikachu is also cute; that is one of his advantages lol.

I feel like nearly everyone would say they choose Pikachu. He's the official face of Pokemon itself.

But I'm glad to share that there are now many cute Pokemon out there. Fan favorites often include baby evolution. Like Cleffa, Igglybuff, and Togepi. The first season of the series has Misty using Togepi's metronome. 😂

727b150f16c6f7f0706229e6fd204ac7f9aaa06b

6 hours ago, Derek said:

Favorite!? Oh jeez. I've got a lot that I like and it's hard to really choose just one.

Maybe Arcanine? I do like fire-types and who doesn't love a large fluffy dog adorably lighting things on fire?

Did you know that Arcanine was originally supposed to be a Legendary Pokemon? I read that somewhere. But in the end, they decided not to officially make him one. That's why many find his aesthetic so regal compared to other dog Pokemon.

He also has relatively good stats compared to others. He can be used competitively much like how Gary used him against Ash. He was his first rival. 💡

season05_ep19_ss03.jpg

Pikachu is my favorite Pokémon and I don't need to think about it twice because I believe that Pikachu is the most lovable character in the Pokémon animation. It's the that angry fighting face of Pikachu when about to fight is what thrills me so much about the character and it's smiling and jumping around is cool as well. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Martinsx said:

Pikachu is my favorite Pokémon and I don't need to think about it twice because I believe that Pikachu is the most lovable character in the Pokémon animation. It's the that angry fighting face of Pikachu when about to fight is what thrills me so much about the character and it's smiling and jumping around is cool as well. 

Same here, well  I guess a lot of folks are. Fun fact: Pikachu's name is from "Pika" a Japanese word for the noise of crackling electricity, while "Chu" is the sound a mouse makes when it is trying to speak.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Martinsx said:

Pikachu will always be the go to choice for most people. He's the most famous out of all of them. Even someone who didn't watch or play Pokemon can recognize him. It's so ingrained in modern culture and media nowadays. 😆

From the start my favorite has been Jigglypuff. Probably because to me Jigglypuff has to be the cutest Pokemon out there...but I also like Jigglypuff's strategy! Using offensive and defensive moves like dazzling gleam are just unique, and seeing Jigglypuff use the power of voice to put opponents to sleep is so adorable!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Steve5 said:

Pikachu will always be the go to choice for most people. He's the most famous out of all of them. Even someone who didn't watch or play Pokemon can recognize him. It's so ingrained in modern culture and media nowadays. 😆

You are absolutely correct with that assertion on Pikachu being ingrained in modern culture and media nowadays. I can still remember not too long ago when Pokémon was making all social media get frenzy with collection of Pokémon. Both men and women were are thrill to have them. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Martinsx said:

You are absolutely correct with that assertion on Pikachu being ingrained in modern culture and media nowadays. I can still remember not too long ago when Pokémon was making all social media get frenzy with collection of Pokémon. Both men and women were are thrill to have them. 

I feel like Pokemon will outlive a lot of shows like anime and cartoons. Even now it's still getting lots of buzz and media attention. The game stays relevant and evolving. It helps that the fans are active supporters. They might be the reason why it's stayed this long despite being years older than most games. 😄

16 hours ago, amelia88 said:

From the start my favorite has been Jigglypuff. Probably because to me Jigglypuff has to be the cutest Pokemon out there...but I also like Jigglypuff's strategy! Using offensive and defensive moves like dazzling gleam are just unique, and seeing Jigglypuff use the power of voice to put opponents to sleep is so adorable!

That's adorable. I also like Jiggplypuff. She's actually a powerful Pokemon. She has one of the highest HP when she evolves into Wigglytuff. I think it's around +400. Also, the anime works differently compared to the game. I mean, her move "sing" is practically a One Hit Knock Out. Remember how everyone got nervous whenever she held the mic?

That's why I'm never sure if the battle's over as there's a difference a Pokemon sleeping and being knocked out. 😂

2 hours ago, Steve5 said:

That's adorable. I also like Jiggplypuff. She's actually a powerful Pokemon. She has one of the highest HP when she evolves into Wigglytuff. I think it's around +400. Also, the anime works differently compared to the game. I mean, her move "sing" is practically a One Hit Knock Out. Remember how everyone got nervous whenever she held the mic?

That's why I'm never sure if the battle's over as there's a difference a Pokemon sleeping and being knocked out. 😂

It's a broken move in the show. In battle, if a Pokemon is asleep, it's considered unable to battle. In the game, you wait turns until your Pokemon wakes up. So in short, Jigglypuff is the strongest Pokemon in the anime. I've never watched an episode where another Pokemon used Sing and made everyone sleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rlpzbeermoney said:

It's a broken move in the show. In battle, if a Pokemon is asleep, it's considered unable to battle. In the game, you wait turns until your Pokemon wakes up. So in short, Jigglypuff is the strongest Pokemon in the anime. I've never watched an episode where another Pokemon used Sing and made everyone sleep.

Actually, have you seen another Pokemon use Sing? It's so weird. I can't remember any other Pokemon using that move on the show. The thing with the series is that they break game rules all the time. I feel like they could've made it a lot better by being more realistic and following a certain set of rules. Just like in the game.

It would've made watching the show more exciting. Another funny fact is that Pikachu has more than 4 moves all at once. He can practically remember an indefinite number of moves. The game limits you to only 4 per Pokemon. 😂

I didn't watch all the anime episodes as I grew up. I have seen clips of the new show though through Youtube recommendations. I have never seen another Pokemon use Sing. The show is broken so that Ash can pull some Deus Ex Machina crap to win battles. The show has even gone to lengths as to make him reach the final, have a mega evolution special Greninja and lose it all to a Charizard in the final. Lots of people got pissed as they were tuning in every week as to see Ash finally win a legit Pokemon league. I guess the sad reality is that Ash will never be a Pokemon Master.

Have you noticed the recurring theme that Pikachu has his stats reset every new season? Pikachu has gone through so many battles now you'd think he'd be level 99 at this point.

Spoiler alert: He releases his special Greninja in the end 😅

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Steve5 said:

I feel like Pokemon will outlive a lot of shows like anime and cartoons. Even now it's still getting lots of buzz and media attention. The game stays relevant and evolving. It helps that the fans are active supporters. They might be the reason why it's stayed this long despite being years older than most games. 😄

Well, there is every possibility of having Pokémon last for more years to come. I'm still seeing a lot of media buzz about it and it's very obvious that this current generation are thrilled about Pokémon. My little cousin loves playing with his Pokémon toys so much. 

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2018 at 8:09 AM, rlpzbeermoney said:

I love that she's cute AND powerful. It's like the best of both worlds...I think it's maybe because that's how I want to be in the real world! Some people probably would immediately look at Jigglypuff and think she doesn't have the capability that other more visually intimidating Pokemon would - but that's part of why I love her!

On 9/26/2018 at 4:43 PM, Steve5 said:

Actually, have you seen another Pokemon use Sing? It's so weird. I can't remember any other Pokemon using that move on the show. The thing with the series is that they break game rules all the time. I feel like they could've made it a lot better by being more realistic and following a certain set of rules. Just like in the game.

It would've made watching the show more exciting. Another funny fact is that Pikachu has more than 4 moves all at once. He can practically remember an indefinite number of moves. The game limits you to only 4 per Pokemon. 😂

I have tried getting back to Pokemon though. However Pokemon keep on getting stranger and stranger by the generation. Like some are designed purely for the furry fans. I don't know much about that fanbase but I do know I don't want to dig into it. They are people who have fetishes with humanoid animals right?

On 9/26/2018 at 4:56 PM, rlpzbeermoney said:

I didn't watch all the anime episodes as I grew up. I have seen clips of the new show though through Youtube recommendations. I have never seen another Pokemon use Sing. The show is broken so that Ash can pull some Deus Ex Machina crap to win battles. The show has even gone to lengths as to make him reach the final, have a mega evolution special Greninja and lose it all to a Charizard in the final. Lots of people got pissed as they were tuning in every week as to see Ash finally win a legit Pokemon league. I guess the sad reality is that Ash will never be a Pokemon Master.

Have you noticed the recurring theme that Pikachu has his stats reset every new season? Pikachu has gone through so many battles now you'd think he'd be level 99 at this point.

Spoiler alert: He releases his special Greninja in the end 😅

See? I feel like they made it so that Jigglypuff can be menacing and cute at the same time. I totally agree with what you said. It feels like the show is rigged compared to the actual game. Like how Agility acts like an evasive move when really it should only make your Pokemon move first. That part really confused me.

What's the purpose of evasive moves like Double Team and Minimize if they blur the lines with speed moves? How can Pikachu or any other Pokemon evade attacks by using Agility? It makes no sense. 😵

Actually, Ash's battles remind me of Yugioh. You might want to make a separate thread for that. Long story short, the level of Deus Ex Machina there surpasses shows I know. It's so convoluted to the point of giving up on logic entirely.

And yes. They will never let him win an actual league. Because that would pose a threat to their carefully fabricated world of "I wanna a champion like no one ever was." Like if he did became a champion, then what would be next? As far as I can see, they want him to keep losing so that they can extend the show indefinitely.

Also, what the heck is up with Pikachu? That Pokemon is so exempted from the rules that I wouldn't be surprised if it one day just started talking. Just like Meowth. Maybe they could copy Lady Rainicorn from Adventure Time and make it so that Pikachu only speaks Japanese. 😂

On 9/26/2018 at 5:52 PM, Martinsx said:

Well, there is every possibility of having Pokémon last for more years to come. I'm still seeing a lot of media buzz about it and it's very obvious that this current generation are thrilled about Pokémon. My little cousin loves playing with his Pokémon toys so much. 

In fact, it's so beloved by the current generation that I expect it to last longer than Spongebob. If that happens, I'm sure lots of people will find it funny. Seeing as these two are some of the shows that have lasted for a while. It could be 2030 and there would still be new content for Pokemon.  😁

8 hours ago, rlpzbeermoney said:

I have tried getting back to Pokemon though. However Pokemon keep on getting stranger and stranger by the generation. Like some are designed purely for the furry fans. I don't know much about that fanbase but I do know I don't want to dig into it. They are people who have fetishes with humanoid animals right?

I can relate. It's kind of getting to the point of inventing new stuff like Mega Evolution. I'm not totally against it. But I feel like it's going to get so much more complicated in the long run. Just like Yugioh. The appeal for stuff like this is their simplicity. When it becomes a chore to even play these games, you know they've messed up. 🤣

15 hours ago, Steve5 said:

In fact, it's so beloved by the current generation that I expect it to last longer than Spongebob. If that happens, I'm sure lots of people will find it funny. Seeing as these two are some of the shows that have lasted for a while. It could be 2030 and there would still be new content for Pokemon.  😁

Well, the company behind the resurgence of Pokémon have done a great job with making it trend the way it's doing at the moment because it been years we all knew about Pokémon. Some props that came out with it years back have faded into oblivion but Pokémon is still here with us. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Martinsx said:

Well, the company behind the resurgence of Pokémon have done a great job with making it trend the way it's doing at the moment because it been years we all knew about Pokémon. Some props that came out with it years back have faded into oblivion but Pokémon is still here with us. 

And I wonder how they'll keep the show going. In fact, they've already adapted it to a more anime look. Have you seen the new shows? I've been seeing pictures of it on the internet for some time. I'll probably check it out later. Maybe it's better than the original series. 😀