Derek

FFExtreme Forums Return!

After nearly 8 years since the old forums were locked down by previous ownership, the Final Fantasy Extreme Forums have returned with a fresh start on modern software.

But who am I? I'm a veteran of the old FFE and now the owner of the new FFE as of 2016. Besides helping the site out back in the day, it also was a critical moment that lead me on the career as a web designer and developer. I started work on the new FFE a mere week after completing the purchase but development has experienced multiple delays due to various time constraints with my other responsibilities. However, I am very optimistic the site will be released this year!

But with the site still having a few months of work until it's ready, I shifted focus a month ago for an early release for the forums. I scrapped the old idea of using bbPress and ported the work onto Invision Community software for a better, full-featured experience.

Hello Invision Community

For almost two decades, the forums were hosted on vBulletin software. The main decision to switch to Invision was to offer a better user experience than what is currently seen in vBulletin 4+, Xenforo and bbPress. I had considered experimenting with some next-gen forum software like Discourse but ultimately wanted to bring a modernized experience with that traditional forum feel.

I'm still open to experimenting with other forum software if it fits better for our needs than Invision. If we do decide to change at a later date, all data will be ported to the new software - nothing will be lost.

The Past Meets the Future! (Beta)

The new forums sport a redesign of the FFEv5 theme that meets current design trends (simpler and flatter), runs on better tech and is mobile ready - while still providing homage to the 1.5 decades old original design. Created for the new FFE site , I took the last month to port it over to the Invision software and modify the software's default styles to match. With that said...

There's definitely display issues and bugs that I haven't been able to account for yet but will be fixing them as they arise. I will also provide improvements to the design. So that's why it's currently in a BETA phase, but all data is safe and will still be used on the final release. 

Staff Opportunities

Staffing opportunities for the site will come later but for now I could really use staff for the forums! The positions I'm looking to have filled are:

• Forums Administrator
    Admins managing the community, add features, recruit/manage moderators, set guidelines, and otherwise take ownership of the whole forums.
  • Moderators
    Mods help manage the forums in various ways - locking and moving threads, handling user reports,  dealing with user requests, etc. They also help drive frequent, positive engagement.
  • News Writers
    These talented individuals post threads on the latest Square Enix news in the "Latest News" forum. Writing expertise desired.

If you're interested and have experience in any of these fields, please send me a message! I mostly need moderators and news writers but definitely welcome an experienced forum admin to run this place. Also, News Writers will have the opportunity to be site staff for the new site.

Where Are We and What's Next?

The new site is being developed on Wordpress with various custom plugins to replicate the experience of the old site. This will still take a while but I plan on providing regular updates here. The old site will continue to be available during this time and has even been modified to display the latest threads in "Latest News" as news posts.

Keeping this thread open so let me know any of your questions or comments! Welcome to the new forums!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Words of Ivory said:

Well this is a blast from the past.

Yep. Crazy how much the net has changed since.

And nice to see ya here! I imported a custom member list from the decade old vB database, surprised some people still have those emails!

Hello Derek,

Firstly, It's good to see this site have some activity again. I remember the day the old admin blocked posting privileges to everyone, there had still been 4 or 5 of us posting occasionally at that time. I've sent word out to two of those people to see if they wanted to rejoin for some nostalgia's sake.

Secondly, while I'm not sure I have the stability/ability to work as a mod or News Writer, I'd be interested to help however I can. If there are basic components you need taken care of, let me know, and I'll be happy to help out. I'd be very interested to see this site take off again.

6 hours ago, Akira Avelon said:

Hey, long time no talk. Man, has it been 8 years? Damn. 

Oh hey! Been a while! Good to see you 🙂

6 hours ago, darkeclipse21 said:

Hello Derek,

Firstly, It's good to see this site have some activity again. I remember the day the old admin blocked posting privileges to everyone, there had still been 4 or 5 of us posting occasionally at that time. I've sent word out to two of those people to see if they wanted to rejoin for some nostalgia's sake.

Secondly, while I'm not sure I have the stability/ability to work as a mod or News Writer, I'd be interested to help however I can. If there are basic components you need taken care of, let me know, and I'll be happy to help out. I'd be very interested to see this site take off again.

Hey hey! 😄 Please do reach out to them! I have no intention of closing the forums like the previous owner did - I was very against that decision back in the day. Hell, I would have fully imported the vB database but 7-8 years of no new content might not be the best way to kickstart the community lol.

If you know of anyone who'd like to help out in any of those roles, please have them reach out. Once the site is further along, I'll likely be looking for content writers and reviewers in addition to the forum positions. But otherwise, the best way for anyone to help is to recruit and be as active in the community as they're able to  ❤️

If any other roles or stuff comes up, I'll definitely let people know. Thanks for coming back and offering to help!

• Like 1

Holy old!

I hardly remember the old threads I had on the old site but it is good to see this again. (Especially since my writing jingo has come back.) Glad to be back!

• Like 1

It’s lookig real good here man! Especially in mobile view, good job! Looking forward to all the new!

• Like 2

Wow. I'm really happy to see the site (kinda) alive again :)

I used to check it every now and then.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, adm1r said:

Wow. I'm really happy to see the site (kinda) alive again 🙂

I used to check it every now and then.

It's coming back! Instead of just importing the old forum database, I decided to start fresh. Hoping the forum kick back up, but likely will have a better chance when the full site is released.

4 hours ago, Derek said:

It's coming back! Instead of just importing the old forum database, I decided to start fresh. Hoping the forum kick back up, but likely will have a better chance when the full site is released.

Wish you all the best 😀. Looks good for now.

• Like 2

Gosh! It looks like many users are familiar with the previous forum. I'm happy to join the community. I hope to contribute interesting ideas. I can already feel the positive vibes everyone has over here. It's going to be a great time for all of us. 😀

• Like 1

This is my first time joining this site/forum so I am not aware of the old forum. But I am glad that I am now part of the new forum, it is good that it returned! This is one of my favorite forums on this site.