EfficientNinja

What are your favorite combat systems?

Many of us here have already played many Final Fantasy games. Some may dislike combat systems from older Final Fantasy games while others prefer them. The turn-based combat system was the traditional gameplay/combat system of Final Fantasy games. However, newer Final Fantasy games are starting to adapt to the more action-based style combat that may have started with Kingdom Hearts.

What type of combat system is your favorite in the Final Fantasy series?

I got mixed feelings when it comes to action and turn-based. The FF series has steadily leaned more towards action type combat, especially with FFXV. But being the old dude that I am, I still enjoy old school turn-based combat. It seems they're leaving that intact with the Dragon Quest series, so we still get to experience both. Can't complain.

I'll go with Final Fantasy XV for the combat system. Needs some work to be sure, especially when in forested areas the camera can give you the middle finger. But overall I was pleased with it.

Well, you can permit me to say that we are living in a more violent appreciated world at the moment, as people or should I say that gamers more into action fighting combat game systems as well as adventure. Fight and violence are being propagated in most games recently and people love it. 

• Like 1

Active Time Battle is my personal favorite. I love more traditional turn based combat, but things like that give it a unique twist that makes the game feel more polished and interesting. That being said, FF has some entries that do the action RPG based combat really well. I know it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but when I'm in the mood for it I can really get into it. 

Call me old fashioned, but the old turn based style combat system is what makes Final Fantasy "Final Fantasy", it's just apart of the lore at this point.  It's disappointing that Square Enix has moved away from the turn based style of gameplay and employed new battle systems with its latest editions. Final Fantasy XIII was almost unplayable because of the combat system that it employed, simply selecting "auto battle" whilst only controlling one character? Not enjoyable at all.  The new combat system in XV was enjoyable, but it was less tactical than the old ones and it felt like another action RPG, not like Final Fantasy. I guess kids these days can't get into turn based like us old folks. 

The Final Fantasy series are known for their combat system which what will the turn-based combat system. I also enjoy gameplays that are similar to Kingdom Hearts, but I am not really sure if changing the traditional combat system of Final Fantasy into that would be the best action. I just hope that the rumored remake Final Fantasy VII who was told to adapt the new combat system would not be a flop and would be even better then the original.

On 9/23/2018 at 3:53 AM, Martinsx said:

Well, you can permit me to say that we are living in a more violent appreciated world at the moment, as people or should I say that gamers more into action fighting combat game systems as well as adventure. Fight and violence are being propagated in most games recently and people love it. 

The truthfulness of your statements disturbs me. But the real world is what it is. That being said, if choosing a combat system as close to reality as possible, turn-based  ~ active time battle (ATB) is probably the best.