Sign in to follow this  
EfficientNinja

Your thoughts about Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

Final Fantasy: Spirits Within is a movie released a few years back. It has the Final Fantasy brand on it but it doesn't really feel like a Final Fantasy because it doesn't feature swords and they are mostly in space. The characters are too plain and the whole story feels like your typical space movie. What are your thoughts about this movie?

I thought it was a boring mess that had no similarities with the Final Fantasy series aside from having 'Final Fantasy' on the title. I fell asleep in the movie theatre watching this, I was so hyped up for it. Me and a buddy went to see it and we felt robbed of our money. Apparently, we weren't the only ones that thought it sucked as the movie bombed big time. The movie cost quite a pretty penny to make, and Squaresoft may have spent more time working on good CGI then bringing a good Final Fantasy story. The failure caused Square's movie studios to be shut down.

I've watched this movie and it was a meh for me. I don't even remember what the story was lol. It was that bad. The faces of the characters stood out to me. It was creepy in a way. I think the level of motion capture then wasn't up to standards as now. Movie games like The Last of Us and Detroit: Become Human shows us what technology can do with motion capture.

Well, one thing about the Spirit within is the poor setting. I don't really think that it is exciting as the Final Fantasy games itself. You are always going to have a good feeling of how everything is going when you play FF games, but this movie is quite different to that. 

I was so excited at first, but when i started watching, i was asking my self where are those monsters, characters and worlds of FF. Nothing. The movie was beautiful for the time. CGI was impressive, but overall, nothing much. Even the story was kinda lame.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, adm1r said:

I was so excited at first, but when i started watching, i was asking my self where are those monsters, characters and worlds of FF. Nothing. The movie was beautiful for the time. CGI was impressive, but overall, nothing much. Even the story was kinda lame.

This right here. I got no final fantasy vibe out of it. A sci fi where alien phantoms suck out your soul or some shit. Couldnt get into it.

I remember when this came out. It was such a big deal, well at least for me as the animation was so realistic. I still think it holds up. When I've seen it, I thought it had real people. However, I do agree with everyone, theirs not much about the story and the script was lousy-made. 

On 9/28/2018 at 11:04 AM, Dragoon McKnight said:

I thought it was a boring mess that had no similarities with the Final Fantasy series aside from having 'Final Fantasy' on the title. I fell asleep in the movie theatre watching this, I was so hyped up for it. Me and a buddy went to see it and we felt robbed of our money. Apparently, we weren't the only ones that thought it sucked as the movie bombed big time. The movie cost quite a pretty penny to make, and Squaresoft may have spent more time working on good CGI then bringing a good Final Fantasy story. The failure caused Square's movie studios to be shut down.

Good thing I only watched it on Cable TV and not pay for it in the theatres. I was also hyped when I read the title "Final Fantasy" at the top right corner of our TV and watched it. It was disappointing that it really doesn't have the elements that could classify it as a Final Fantasy movie. I hope Square could make more Final Fantasy movies like the Final Fantasy XV movie.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:26 PM, Dragoon McKnight said:

This right here. I got no final fantasy vibe out of it. A sci fi where alien phantoms suck out your soul or some shit. Couldnt get into it.

Not to mention big financial loss for SquareEnix.

I actually really enjoyed it. To be fair, I wasn't really expecting much out of it when I saw it in the cinema, so I kinda had a bit more of an objective view to it. It certainly was no Final Fantasy, but I was actually blown away by the cgi. As a generic sci-fi romp, it was pretty solid. I thought the phantoms were pretty wicked. In fact, I actually found them quite terrifying. The idea that something could literally snatch the life out of you with a mere touch sent shivers down my spine.

Personally, I think this film would have been much better received if it didn't have Final Fantasy in its title. It was a good film on its own merits, but because it was "Final Fantasy", naturally people are going to draw comparisons and have entirely different expectations to what was put out.